[freetds] trailing spaces

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Wed May 26 14:49:53 EDT 2004

> From: freetds-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
> [mailto:freetds-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Dan Wierenga
>
> I'm having the same problem with Perl connecting to SQL
> Server 2K via DBI and
> DBD::Sybase.   If anyone has a solution for that I'd love to hear it.

The DBI documentation says that a driver may implement the ChopBlanks statement handle attribute, and that if it doesn't, it should return undef.

AFAICT, DBD::Sybase doesn't do either of those things.  You can set the attribute, but it has no effect.  That is,

	$sth = $dbh->prepare($query);
	print $sth->{"ChopBlanks"} = 1;

doesn't alter whether or not the elements in the list returned by $sth->fetchrow are trimmed.

However, DBD::Sybase treats char and varchar differently, in the expected way: char columns are blank padded; varchar are not.

HTH.