[freetds] having more than one active SQL statement

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Fri May 21 14:14:16 EDT 2004

http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#pending

Now that the ODBC driver is pretty functional, it's gaining adherents who haven't used a TDS server before.  Your question used to come up about once a year, but now it seems like it's more like once a month, so I added it to the FAQ.  If that doesn't answer your question, please say so.

> Is this a farce?  Is there something going on in ADO that I am unaware of?

It would seem so.  ADO is populating a container for you.  You get the convenience of the container, at the price of waiting for the last row before you can use the first one.

> The basic problem is that SQLExecDirect() fails with error 0
> and no error message on the second SELECT statement that I
> execute on it.  Do I need to open a new connection for every
> statement that I want to be active at once?

That's a problem.  :-(  Error message handling in the FreeTDS ODBC driver sometimes fails to convey server messages to the client.  It's being worked on.

Regards,