[freetds] About the Unicode support in the FreeTDS ODBC Driver

Frediano Ziglio freddyz77 at tin.it
Wed May 19 01:20:42 EDT 2004

Il mer, 2004-05-19 alle 03:05, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> On Tue, 18 May 2004, "ou liu" <ou at qbt.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does the FreeTDS ODBC Driver support the UNICODE?
>
> Unicode is a set of standards.  FreeTDS supports UTF-8 as a client
> encoding, but not UCS-2.
>
> If by "the UNICODE" you mean 16-bit Unicode such as is used by Win32 and
> Mac OS X, no, the FreeTDS ODBC driver won't support that.  It probably
> could, but there isn't much demand.
>
> >             Or I could use the SQL_C_CHAR to bind and later translate
> >             the
> > data in buffer into UNICODE by myself?
>
> If you are using a Microsoft server, you can store your data as
> nchar/nvarchar/ntext.  You may then be able to use a binary binding,
> causing FreeTDS to pass you the bits without interpretation.

We don't support Unicode as client side. We support Unicode at server
side. What does it mean? You can write and read nvarchar from/to
database however your data will be converted to a client charset. For
example you can use UTF-8. Data are converted from server ASAP so even
using binary binding you get them using charset you provide.
Honestly I don't see any reason to support client Unicode...