[freetds] About the Unicode support in the FreeTDS ODBC Driver

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Tue May 18 21:05:14 EDT 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, "ou liu" <ou at qbt.com> wrote:

> Does the FreeTDS ODBC Driver support the UNICODE?

Unicode is a set of standards.  FreeTDS supports UTF-8 as a client
encoding, but not UCS-2.

If by "the UNICODE" you mean 16-bit Unicode such as is used by Win32 and
Mac OS X, no, the FreeTDS ODBC driver won't support that.  It probably
could, but there isn't much demand.

>             Or I could use the SQL_C_CHAR to bind and later translate
>             the
> data in buffer into UNICODE by myself?

If you are using a Microsoft server, you can store your data as
nchar/nvarchar/ntext.  You may then be able to use a binary binding,
causing FreeTDS to pass you the bits without interpretation.