[freetds] Perl pulling data from SQL Server using FreeTDS

v79k v79k at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 17:25:37 EDT 2004

Hi,
I am using Perl on Linux to access stored procedure on
SQL Server, using FreeTDS+DBD::Sybase

My SP accepts a parameter in date format(mm/dd/yyyy)
and returns the data(2 columns {string,rowcount}).
Also
I want to know if the number of rows is 0. So if we
have 0 rows we still return 1 row with cloumn 1 as  ""
and
column 2 as 0

So for normal data if I have 193 rows returned I have

EXAMPLE 1
+----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  data abcd....ef                 |
         193| Row 1
+----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  .......                         |
         193| Row 2
+----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
              Row n
+----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  ddddeeddd                       |
         193| Row 193
+----------------------------------+-------------------------------+

For example 1 on certain occassions for column 1, I am
getting only
part of column 1 like dddde.

Is there a limit of 256 bytes for FreeTDS? Column 1 is
basically tab limited data.
Will breaking into individual columns help?

EXAMPLE 2
If I have zero rows, I have 1 row returned still, that
says 0.

+----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  empty string                    |
           0| Row 1
+----------------------------------+-------------------------------+

For example 2 inspite of the fact that it is (empty
string) and zero
I get this:

tabs and spaces (total 25)  followed by a 1. This is
what my perl script pulls.

I didn't write the stored proc. and I don't know if it
can be changed.

Any comments?

Thanks for your time,
VK