[freetds] Re: FreeTDS on Mac OS X 10.3.3

Daniel Fazekas fdsubs at axelero.hu
Fri May 14 16:33:01 EDT 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 20:13, Mike Galban wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm new to FreeTDS and ODBC in general but am very interested in
> getting it to work properly. So far I've been able to build and
> install on OS X 10.3.3 using the guides and helpful hints from the
> archives. Using tsql I've connected to and queried my company's MSSQL
> db and have gotten back the desired results. One thing that I haven't
> gotten to work is the building of the ODBC driver, at least that's
> what I can only assume. Looking for libtdsodbc.so in
> /usr/local/freetds/lib turns up nothing. I can't find it anywhere. I
> do have several .a .la and .dylib files in /usr/local/freetds/lib.
> Should I be pointing to one of the these files as the driver? Any help
> is greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid I haven't heard of anyone who got FreeTDS's odbc part
working under Mac OS X, and I've been closely following the discussion
on this list since almost a year now.

The good news is that the other libraries do work without much effort
(ctlib, dblib) and the lack of success could be down to nobody really
even trying to get it to work. I know I've given up right away at the
first obstacle. :)

Getting it to function may or may not require replacing the
Apple-supplied iODBC with a new version.

As for the extensions, .so is really only a remnant of porting software
from other UNIX systems. Mac OS X has the unfortunate distinction that
shared libraries and loadable modules are not the same as on other
systems such as Linux. Here's a page I found helpful in explaining the
difference:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/shared.php

Keep us informed if you take to time to figure out what makes it work!
:)

--
fds