[freetds] RPM version different?

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Tue May 11 13:29:36 EDT 2004

Lowden, James K wrote:
> Probably you don't need a SYBASE variable.  FreeTDS doesn't use it except to find the 'interfaces' file (which you'd know if you needed).  Some applications use a SYBASE variable to locate the shared libraries.  sqsh uses it at build time iirc.
>
> The right value for SYBASE (if it's needed) is FreeTDS's installation prefix.  That is, if tsql is in /usr/local/bin, and sybdb.h is in /usr/local/include, then FreeTDS's installation prefix was /usr/local, and you should "export SYBASE=/usr/local".
>
> I'll have to review the docs on this score.  There shouldn't be any references to "/usr/local/freetds" anymore.  FreeTDS's default prefix was changed to /usr/local back with 0.60 as I recall.
>
> --jkl

I'm a bit of a FreeTDS newbie. I'm using Perl and the DBD::Sybase
module, and I had read in somewhere that I should put:

   BEGIN
   {
       $ENV{SYBASE} = "/usr/local/freetds";
   }

near the top of the script. Is this not needed then?

I commenting it out and running my code it seems to work fine, so I'm
inclined to delete if it is not needed.

Are there cases where this would be needed?

Pete