[freetds] RPM version different?

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Tue May 11 12:19:02 EDT 2004

> From: freetds-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
> [mailto:freetds-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Greg Fisher
>
> I have just installed the RPM version
> (freetds-0.62.1-1.i586.rpm) on my
> Fedora Core 1 server.  Seems to be working fine when I test
> using "tsql"
> utility.  My question is about setting the environment variable
> "SYBASE".  The documentation and FAQs indicate that the default
> installation is to /usr/local/freetds, but the RPM install did not
> create this directory.  Where do I point the SYBASE
> environment variable
> to?  I want to use the CTLIB API.

Welcome, Greg.

Probably you don't need a SYBASE variable.  FreeTDS doesn't use it except to find the 'interfaces' file (which you'd know if you needed).  Some applications use a SYBASE variable to locate the shared libraries.  sqsh uses it at build time iirc.

The right value for SYBASE (if it's needed) is FreeTDS's installation prefix.  That is, if tsql is in /usr/local/bin, and sybdb.h is in /usr/local/include, then FreeTDS's installation prefix was /usr/local, and you should "export SYBASE=/usr/local".

I'll have to review the docs on this score.  There shouldn't be any references to "/usr/local/freetds" anymore.  FreeTDS's default prefix was changed to /usr/local back with 0.60 as I recall.