[freetds] ODBC configuration dialog on Windows

Michael Peppler mpeppler at peppler.org
Mon May 3 14:40:04 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 18:10, Lowden, James K wrote:
> [...]

This is also what Sybase's OpenServer product/libraries allow you to do
- and which makes writing servers that understand TDS *relatively*
simple.

> I think it would be facinating to bolt the src/server code onto the
> front of another database server -- pick any one -- because in theory
> it would allow familar Sybase/Microsoft tool to be used with other
> backends.  That would be freeing to many developers.  It's also very
> different from what Steve undertook.

I've got a project going where you can write an OpenServer in perl (i.e.
I built a perl binary that links the OpenServer libs and includes the OS
API calls). I built a simple MySQL gateway using DBI in a few hours...
It was supposed to be a commercial product, but interest has been pretty
minimal, so maybe I'll make it available somewhere.

> Anyone interested in running a Microsoft-like server on Linux may wish
> to consider Sybase.  Version 11.9.2 is available for Linux at no
> charge.

Actually, 11.0.3.3 is completely free (though I think Sybase has pulled
it from its web site - if you are interested please contact me
off-list). 11.9.2 is no longer available as it has been EOLed for quite
some time. 12.5.x (12.5.2 was released at the end of last week) is
available as a "developer edition", meaning that you can run a limited
server (I think only one engine, up to 25 connections) for development
purposes, but you can't put it into production.

Michael
mpeppler at peppler.org                       http://www.peppler.org/