[freetds] ODBC configuration dialog on Windows

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Mon May 3 12:10:38 EDT 2004

Let me save Steve Kirkendall the trouble of answering that, so that one good deed may go unpunished.

Steve didn't port Microsoft's server to Linux.  Neither is he running Microsoft's server on Linux.  Neither did he reproduce a Microsoft-like server on Linux, except for very small values of "reproduce".

What he did was build on src/server in the FreeTDS distribution.  That code is the server-side complement to the client libraries: it accepts TDS connections and responds to certain TDS packets.  Steve added the ability to understand some rudimentary SELECT statements.  This lets him pass the contents of some data files back to ODBC clients by fooling them into thinking they're talking to a Microsoft server.

I think it would be facinating to bolt the src/server code onto the front of another database server -- pick any one -- because in theory it would allow familar Sybase/Microsoft tool to be used with other backends.  That would be freeing to many developers.  It's also very different from what Steve undertook.

Anyone interested in running a Microsoft-like server on Linux may wish to consider Sybase.  Version 11.9.2 is available for Linux at no charge.