[freetds] qt+unixODBC+freeTDS

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Wed Apr 28 08:46:15 EDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Balu Stefan <stefan.balu at rodipet.ro> wrote:

> I have to tell you I don't know MsSQL Language (I've only used
> PostgreSQL), but I have some MSSQL programmes in my office to ask for
> MsSQL's syntax.
> Now...what do I need in order to do this?

Welcome, Stefan.

Microsoft and Sybase share a SQL dialect called Transact-SQL (tm), or
T-SQL for short.  Its complete documentation can be found on Microsoft's
website.

> freetds-0.62.3:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-server --enable-msdblib
> --with-iodbc=/usr/local --with-unixodbc=/usr/local

You might or might not need --enable-msdblib, depending on what QT wants.
You definitely don't need two driver managers.  Choose either iODBC or
unixODBC.

> make && make install
>
> now...what else do I have to do?

Keep going.  ;-)  You need to set up your odbc.ini and/or freetds.conf.
Try simple tools like tsql, isql, and odbctest to make sure your
connection works, and take note of the TDSDUMPCONFIG variable as a
diagnostic tool if it doesn't.

HTH.