More on using FreeTDS on a server (was Re: [freetds] Server dumps core...)

Steve Kirkendall skirkendall at dsl-only.net
Thu Apr 22 16:08:22 EDT 2004

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden at schemamania.org> wrote on Sunday, Apr 18, 2004:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall at dsl-only.net> wrote:
> >
> > * Can anybody recommend an alternative ODBC/TDS driver for Windows?
>
> The FreeTDS ODBC driver can be built with VC++.  One big advantage that
> would have (for you) would be that the TDSDUMP log file could show you the
> packets being exchanged.  If you set the protocol to 4.2, it will also
> capture the login packet.  Be advised that 4.2/5.0 login packet is very
> different from the 7.0 one.

I've compiled it and *tried* to install it on Windows.  It does show up in
the list of ODBC drivers in Windows' ODBC Data Source tool.  But whenever
I try to access it, I get an error message saying that the setup routines
could not be accessed.

Here's the batch file I used to install it.  I added this batch file to
the freetds-0.62.3\win32\msvc6 directory.  Maybe I'm just not installing
FreeTDS correctly.  The batch file is derived from a similar file for
MyODBC, so a lot of the CONFIGDRIVER lines might be wrong.  (If it matters,
this is a Windows98 machine.)

@echo off
REM This shell script installs the FreeTDS ODBC driver
COPY /Y Debug\FreeTDS.dll %windir%\SYSTEM\FreeTDS.dll
CD %windir%\SYSTEM
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF INSTALLDRIVER "FreeTDS|Driver=FreeTDS.dll|Setup=FreeTDS.dll||"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "APILevel=1"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "ConnectFunctions=YYN"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "DriverODBCVer=03.51"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "FileUsage=0"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "SQLLevel=1"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "CPTimeout=60"

What is the "normal" way to install FreeTDS on Windows, after compiling it?

--
Steve Kirkendall    |A:It is confusing, since people don't read that way
kirkenda at cs.pdx.edu |Q:Why is top-posting bad?