[freetds] Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Installation Problems

crusoe crusoe at myquickmail.us
Tue Apr 20 17:24:43 EDT 2004

Hi,

i am trying to build and use the freeTDS application to talk to a MS Sql Server7.0.
freeTDS is being run on a Mac OS X 10.3 system. freeTDS gets built fine and also connects. However, we are using a the DBD::Sybase module, and we are facing problems in running a test script after building the above module.

here's the test script. As I understand it, If it runs fine, we should atleast not get any errors.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use DBI;

my $uniDBH = DBI->connect( "dbi:Sybase:server=Uniprint;database=pharos",
"Homer",
"scratchy",
{RaiseError=>1,PrintError=>1}
);

However I am getting the following errors :-

dyld: perl Undefined symbols:
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle undefined reference to _libiconv expected to be defined in a dynamic image
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle undefined reference to _libiconv_close expected to be defined in a dynamic image
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle undefined reference to _libiconv_open expected to be defined in a dynamic image
Trace/BPT trap

I have installed the latest version of the libiconv library. The $SYBASE variable is also set correctly to /usr/local. $TDSVER is 7.0
I am not understanding what could be the reason for the errors, what does this error mean and what can I do to remove them. Also, how do i exactly use -liconv in the link phase manually.

Any help would be highly appreciated. This project has a close deadline and we are presently pressed hard.

Regards,
Crusoe

Quoting jbaldwin:

I'm surprised by this, since I didn't run into trouble using
DBD::Sybase after I installed. (I just verified by running a script.)

However, I did run into problems with other tools using iconv. I found
that Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) requires a -liconv in the link phase, and
I'm guessing linux does not. I've just been manually adding that into
the link phase and moving along my happy way. This worked for me with
sqsh.

My script begins like such:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;