[freetds] obtaining statement type information

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Tue Apr 20 06:23:17 EDT 2004

> It looks to me like if you have a statement handle,
> calling SQLGetDiagField with an argument of
> SQL_DIAG_DYNAMIC_FUNCTION_CODE is the ODBC way to find out
> what kind of statement it is (insert, select, update, etc...)
>
> Question 1 - is that right?

Yes

> It looks like freetds 0.62.3 does not implement this function
> currently, there's a TODO marker there.
>
> Question 2 - is that right?

Yes and not. It returns an empty string, that is an unknown statement.
Drivers are not required to support this option, they can return
unknown.

> I very much would like to be able to determine this information,
> if possible after a statement is prepared, and before it is executed
> (this is how I do it in the OCI application that I'm porting)
>
> Question 3 - is this possible in any way with freetds?

Not currently under FreeTDS and is implementable only using mssql7+ (not
Sybase, not mssql < 7). Not that difficult to code but not so important
to me...

> Thanks for any tips.
>
> roger

bye