[freetds] odbc connection configuration

Roger Reynolds rogerr at softix.com
Thu Apr 15 03:33:54 EDT 2004

Hi list gang - its my first post here, please be gentle:)

I'm using freetds-0.62.3, on solaris 8, connecting to MSSQL 2000.

I think I may need just a little bit of help getting the ODBC bits
of freetds configured properly.

I have established and verified connectivity from my solaris system
to my MSSQL server using the freetds tsql utility:)

I am trying to use freetds without a driver manager, and have configured
it as specified in the tutorial. That is - I downloaded and unpacked the
unixODBC package, and pointed to that destination when configuring freetds,
like so:

  --with-odbc-nodbm=/home/rsr/unixODBC-2.2.8

Like I say, I have succeeded in building freetds, and have used tsql to
connect,
query, and update my MSSQL database.

My freetsd.conf file contains this entry

[MyServer]
	host = isengard
	port = 1433
	tds version = 8.0

The problems start with trying to use ODBC.
I am starting with trying to run the tests in src/odbc/unittests, but am
failing, apparently not having the right odbc.ini, odbcinst.ini, and/or
freetds.conf
files or contents or something.

My PWD file contains the following

UID=insight
PWD=mypassword
SRV=MyServer
DB=testdb2

For my purposes,  I'd be happy to bypass the various odbc.ini type files,
and all of the config files and compose and pass a DSN to SQLConnect
directly,
if that is easier, but what should it look like?

What is/are the proper args to pass to SQLConnect in order to
establish a connection given the info above?

Or, what do I put in which odbi.ini type files to correspond to this?

Thanks very much for any help, I won't be able to use freetds if I
can't get this first bit figured out.

roger