[freetds] Server dumps core while reading login packet

Steve Kirkendall skirkendall at dsl-only.net
Wed Apr 14 20:45:29 EDT 2004

brian at bruns.com wrote on Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004:
> Steve: my webmail is showing your messages as empty, so I know you
> sent a follow up to this but I can't read it.

I think probably my GPG signature was tripping you up.  I'll try to
disable it for this message.

> The server accepts TDS 4.2/5.0 and 7.0 logins, however beyond that
> some of the 7.0 stuff is missing.  TDS 5.0 does work however.

I'm trying to configure the Windows ODBC driver for MS SQL Server to
use TDS 4.2, and indeed it does seem to be doing that.  I got past the
login problem, and now the src/server/unittest program reports the
following login information:

	host SKLAP
	user guest
	pass sybase
	app
	srvr sampo
	vers 4.2
	lib  ODBC
	lang
	char
	bsiz 0

All of the information there looks right except "bsiz 0".  I was kind of
expecting to see "bsiz 512".  When I run tsql on it, I get "bsiz 512".

By the way, I did have to change unittest.c to make it read the login
packet successfully.  The big secret: Instead of declaring a TDSLOGIN
variable on the stack, I declared a TDSLOGIN* pointer, and then called
tds_login_alloc() to initialize it.  That function sets up the string
fields correctly.

But now the tds_get_query() function is acting weird, in both unittest
and my own little server.  I wish I could provide more detail than just
"weird" but I'm still in the early stages of investigation.  I was hoping
this was due to "bsiz 0" but it happens with tsql too so I guess not.

--
Steve Kirkendall    |A:It is confusing, since people don't read that way
kirkenda at cs.pdx.edu |Q:Why is top-posting bad?