[freetds] General Error in nvITrans_BeginT - rc = -1 Follow up

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Apr 8 10:19:57 EDT 2004

Good question.  Several things could be wrong, and the message isn't especially helpful.

HSODBC might be trying to assess the table through methods we don't implement.  I would look for complaints that such-and-such an option is not supported.  In general, FreeTDS will log such a message, but not always.

Look for error messages arriving from the server.  Under certain conditions, they're not propogated back to the application.

I suppose SKU_MASTER is a table?  There are two ways to determine the columns of a table:

1.  Get the metadata by selecting from the table ("where 0=1" or somesuch).  You should see the select statement and a pretty verbose description of the returned columns.

2.  Select the metadata (as data) from either the system tables or the information schema views.

I don't know which of these things our ODBC driver does, or if HSODBC is doing the work itself.  I do know the information has to come from the server in one of those two forms.

You are in new territory, in case you don't know that already.  FreeTDS is normally used in bespoke programs, where the programmer can adjust to its capabilities.  HSODBC, OTOH, no doubt expects to use a fully compliant driver.  I don't know that FreeTDS meets that standard sufficiently well enough for that purpose.  AFAIK, the only experience anyone's had with plugging FreeTDS ODBC into a pre-existing system is with oo.org, and that experience hasn't been positive.  Regardless, we're happy to help you try.