[freetds] RE: Make fails solaris 8

Damian Marinaccio dxmwml at rit.edu
Thu Apr 8 09:36:00 EDT 2004

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you are correct /bin/sh has a built in test program that does not
support -L.

Make install fails with:

if test -n "" ; then \
        if test ! -r userguide.sgml; then ln -s
../../.././userguide.sgml userguide.sgml; fi; \
        openjade -d ../../../userguide.dsl -t sgml userguide.sgml; \
        if test -L userguide.sgml; then rm userguide.sgml; fi; \
fi
if test ! -r doc/freetds-0.62.1/userguide/index.htm ; then \
        echo '<html><P>at <a
HREF="http://www.freetds.org/userguide/">www.freetds.org</a></html>'
\
        > .index.htm && \
        mv .index.htm doc/freetds-0.62.1/userguide/index.htm; \
fi
test -f doc/freetds-0.62.1/userguide/index.htm
cd doc/freetds-0.62.1/userguide && if test ! -L index.html ; then ln -s
index.htm index.html; fi
/bin/sh: test: argument expected
make[1]: *** [doc/freetds-0.62.1/userguide/index.htm] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/freetds-0.62.1/doc'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Is this still the documentation? Should this build be usable now?

Damian

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:21:38 -0400
From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden at schemamania.org>
Subject: Re: [freetds] Make fails on Solaris 8
To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds at lists.ibiblio.org>

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:31:04 -0400, "Damian Marinaccio" <dxmwml at rit.edu>
wrote:
> I am trying to install freetds 0.62.1 on Solaris 8.
>
> I ran:
> ./configure --enable-msdblib
>
> This completed fine, However when running make it eventually errors
> out. I have put the output from the screen at the end of this message.

> I really cant figure out what is going wrong.
> if test -L reference; then rm reference; fi
> /bin/sh: test: argument expected
> make[1]: *** [doc/freetds-0.62.1/reference/index.html] Error 1

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/test.html

It means that your /bin/sh has a builtin called "test" (or, there is a
/usr/bin/test) that does not support '-L' as an option.  Can you confirm
that?

	$ touch t
	$ ln t tt
	$ /bin/sh
	$ test -L tt
	$ test -Y tt
	test: tt: unexpected operator
	$^D
	$ rm t tt
	$ help test |grep '\-L'
        -L FILE        True if file is a symbolic link.

We are relying on a nonstandard option to determine if the file is a
link or not.  I don't know what the standard way is.  I suppose we could
do "if it's a file and it's not a directory".

Happily, this is not a really big problem.  You can still call "make
install" and proceed.  The documentation might not get installed
correctly, but FreeTDS will still work, and you can copy the
documentation trees yourself if you like.

Thank you for the problem report.

Regards,