[freetds] Freetds on AIX 5.2

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Thu Apr 8 00:50:30 EDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, "Kelley, Keith" <Keith.Kelley at experian.com> wrote:

> checking for char... yes
>
> checking size of char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (char),
> 77
>
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> I have looked through the config.log but, I am not sure what I am
> looking for so, I would appreciate any pointers.

Silly old configure, playing like it doesn't know the size of a char!
Pshaw!

What you're looking for, I think, is whether configure even found the
right compiler.  I would guess that it tried to compile a little test
program that returns sizeof(char) and failed.

By way of comparison, my system doesn't support gethostbyname_r(3), and my
config.log has:

configure:10568: checking for which type of gethostbyname_r
configure:10600: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   -D_FREETDS_LIBRARY_SOURCE
conftest.c  >&5
configure: In function `main':
configure:10653: storage size of `data' isn't known
configure:10603: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #line 10574 "configure"
[etc.]

You should see something like that for sizeof(char).

The answer to your question is, yes, FreeTDS runs on AIX.  I don't know
what version.  Brian Bruns tested 0.62 before it was released.

If you want to, post the whole config.log or send it to me.

HTH.