[freetds] bcp timestamp trace

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Mon Apr 5 18:21:04 EDT 2004

Attached for future reference is a perfect tcpdump trace of a short session using BCP.EXE to load four rows into a Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 table.

Notes:

1.  To get the metadata, does:
	SET FMTONLY ON
	select * from dbname..tablename
	SET FMTONLY OFF
    Might be more efficient than "where 0=1".

2.  "insert bulk dbname..tablename (ts int)".

The DDL for the table:

	CREATE TABLE ts (ts int, cc timestamp)

So (in contradiction to comments I just committed), the timestamp column is simply omitted from the query.  I guess the server does the magic.

--jkl

 <<ts.windump.txt>>