[freetds] General Error in nvITrans_BeginT - rc = -1

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Mon Apr 5 15:28:23 EDT 2004

Would you mind updating an old man about just what it is that "Oracle's HSODBC service" does?  Is it a TDS gateway to Oracular servers?  The FreeTDS driver communicates with a pseudo-TDS host that converts the TDS stream into something Oracle understands?

Or is is the other way around: the Oracle database (or its minion) uses ODBC to talk to "foreign" databases, in this case via the FreeTDS ODBC driver?  I'm placing my bet here.

Either way, there are two categories of error:

1.  The client requires a feature in ODBC that FreeTDS (what version, btw?) doesn't support.  In the best case, that will be evident in the TDSDUMP log.

2.  The pseudo-host, if extant, does some unusual TDS thing.  That surely would be in the TDSDUMP log.

Finally, there's James's Best Guess:  You're using 0.62.1 or older, and are stepping on the SQLTran bug fixed in 0.62.2.  Details are in the README.  Pick up something newer in our current directory on ibiblio and call me in the morning.

HTH.