[freetds] Msg 170 Incorrect Syntax - could this be caused by oddcharacters in the table name?

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Apr 1 10:04:16 EST 2004

Have a look at "Delimited Identifiers" in Books Online.  "SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON" affects how the double-quote symbol works.  Off, it works like a single-quote, as a string delimiter.  On, it indicates an object identifier (e.g. table name or column name).

Rules of the game are that ODBC connections default to ON, and db-lib to OFF.  tsql's behavior is, er, undefined in this regard, as would be a ct-lib connection (e.g. sqsh).  ON adheres to SQL-92; OFF reflects how db-lib has consistently worked since Sybase delivered its first server 20 years ago.

If I were writing your query, it would look like this:

	select Description, [Manufacturer Code], [Item Category Code]
	from [TEST SML$Item] where ([No_] = 'A4800A')

That's not standard SQL (yours is), but it will work with Microsoft servers irrespective of the QUOTED_IDENTIFIER setting.