[freetds] Using sp_executesql with Microsoft SQL Server 2000

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Mon Jun 30 17:32:30 EDT 2003

DBD::Sybase uses ct-lib.  I think current ct-lib in CVS supports '?'
placeholders via ct_send_dyn().  I don't know how well it works.  I don't
see a unit test for it, and it hasn't been crossed off the TODO.  In any
case, all the hard parts are done in libtds, and placeholders work at least
somewhat in ODBC.

Frediano reverse engineered the TDS 7.0 protocol for dynamic SQL.  IIRC, his
work is based on the RPC protocol.  It doesn't look like he uses
sp_executesql.  I don't know why; I don't recall any discussion about it.  I
wonder if he ever came across it in his traces.

If the ct-lib support for placeholders is lacking in some area that you need
to make DBD::Sybase work correctly with FreeTDS, please tell us, if you can,
specifically what's missing.  Perhaps we can work together to fill in the
blanks.  At the very least we can make the TODO more detailed.

BTW, Bill Thompson is planning enhancements to ct-lib.  I'm very eager to
see DBD::Sybase work perfectly with FreeTDS, and I expect that Bill's work
will carry us most the way there, quite possibly all the way there.  (Yay,
Bill!)

I suppose it's obvious, but I'll say it anyway: patches welcome.  :-)