[freetds] MSSQL gotcha

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Wed Jun 25 21:19:33 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 04:45:41PM -0400, Lowden, James K wrote:
> The problem is more even complex, and related to the recent
> QUOTED_IDENTIFIER discussion.

Cool--I'm glad to hear you have a good understanding of the issue.
I got dropped from the list a while ago and just resubscribed, since
I'm have to use MSSQL again (either that or Oracle--pick your
poision).

> sqsh is a ct-lib client.  It's not clear what defaults are appropriate to
> ct-lib.  The Principle of Least Astonishment is little help, it seems to me.
> Emulate Sybase's ct-lib defaults (on a Microsoft server)?  db-lib behavior?
> Or ODBC?  Someone porting a ct-lib application to Microsoft might be glad
> for Sybase emulation, but there are severe limits to what we could do.

As I understand, MSSQL is the only 7.0 product, so I think it makes
senes to do (by default) what MS's drivers and tools do.  Porting a
ct-lib application is a special case.  Granted, using sybase tools
like sqsh to access MSSQL is probably not that common either, but I
have to imagine it's more common.

> OTOH, ODBC's defaults are generally more ANSI compliant and "modern".

Even better reason to go with this, from my POV.

Andrew