[freetds] FreeTDS, unixODBC, and libodbc++

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Jun 12 14:36:37 EDT 2003

                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^ clue
> odbc:SQLColAttributes: fDescType is 3
>
> I'm not sure if this means anything.  What I am wondering is,
> is this an issue with freetds, unixodbc, or libodbc++ (or all
> of them, or none??)?  Has anyone actually written a c++
> application usually a similar driver/driver manager setup?

Hi Joel,

We don't get a lot of libodbc++ questions, and I'm not sure anyone's gotten
it more than minimally working.  OTOH, Frediano keeps making our ODBC driver
better and better.  It tends to squawk when asked to do something it can't
yet do.

The "not catered" message comes from src/odbc/odbc.c::SQLColAttributes
(superseded by SQLColAttribute in the ODBC docs, btw).  I think fDescType 5
might be SQL_COLUMN_SCALE, which we don't support.  If that's the issue,
something like this might help:

        case SQL_COLUMN_SCALE:
                switch (colinfo->column_type) {
                case SYBNUMERIC:
                case SYBDECIMAL:
                        *pfDesc = colinfo->column_scale;
                        break;
                default:
                        *pfDesc = 0;
                        break;
                }
                break;

Could you see if that at least doesn't make the log message go away?

Do the libodbc++ tests report anything interesting?  Perhaps they have finer
grained checking of the underlying library that would help us flush out
what's missing.

What does unixODBC say about their message?  Is there a way to get more (ie,
any) details?  As in, say, which identifier was invalid, and what its value
was?