[freetds] Named Pipe

ZIGLIO Frediano Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Wed Jun 11 11:21:08 EDT 2003

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:32:34 +0200, "ZIGLIO Frediano"
> <Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com> wrote:
> > Some week ago I
> > found jCIFS (LGPL, same license of FreeTDS) however this project is
> > written in Java... Before starting converting code to C,
> anybody know
> > any C project with compatible license?
>
> I'll avoid saying anything nasty about a 20 year old
> nonrouteable protocol that even Microsoft would abandon if
> they could, and ask ... just curious ... why?  Just for the
> challenge, or do you see some advantage?  I would be
> skeptical of any efficiency claim.
>
> Best,

Mainly completeness. From mssql 7 TCP/IP is installed by default.
Currently named pipe work over TCP/IP so are slower then direct TCP/IP
however named pipe use have also some advantages mainly related to
remote connections. A named pipe is always attached to a security token
(just like a trusted connection).
So, it's not my main TODO however if named pipe support can be written
in a day or two...