[freetds] Freetds API query

Chris Underhill chris at tart.net
Tue Jun 10 16:42:43 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 10:17, Michael Peppler wrote:

> Sybase has the XP server and also the syb_sendmsg() function that you
> could use for this sort of thing.

[Snip]

I once needed to do something similar for an order routing system on
MS/SQL server 7. The solution I came up with was to write an external
stored procedure, written in C, that sent a short appropriate message to
a specific multicast address to which all the relevant order routers
were listening. Based on the contents of that message the listeners
either ignored the message or performed a database lookup and acted
accordingly. This code was called by the insert/update order procedures,
though equally it could be done through an insert/update trigger etc.

We've since moved to Oracle where this was much less hassle to implement
using the built-in Java interpretor :-)

HTH,

Chris.