[freetds] 0.61 tsql core dump, locale = "C C C C C C"

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Wed Jun 4 20:46:52 EDT 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:12:44 -0400 , "Cooperstock, Dan"
<dan.cooperstock at hepcoe.com> wrote:
> Is there something special I need to do to get the libraries to be
> compiled with symbol tables? I just did a basic compile with nothing
> very special when I created them. All I get from:
> 	ldd $(which tsql) | grep libtds
> is:
> 	libtds.sl.2 =>  /usr/local/lib/libtds.sl.2
> If I do:
> 	file /usr/local/lib/libtds.sl.2
> I get:
> 	/usr/local/lib/libtds.sl.2:     ELF-64 shared object file -
> 	PA-RISC
> 2.0 (LP64)

Sanity check: You compiled with gcc, yes?

On my machine, I have no CFLAGS in my normal environment, and the
top-level Makefile, generated with configure, sets "-g" (generate
symbols).  That's the default:

$ (cd build/; grep ^CFLAGS Makefile)
CFLAGS = -g -O2

(I don't run "./configure".  I have a ./build directory and "cd build;
../configure".)

If that doesn't work for you, see INSTALL for hints about setting your
environment before configure runs.

I don't know if your file(1) would necessarily indicate whether symbols
are present in a shared library.  Another way to check is with gdb:

$ gdb /usr/local/lib/libtds.so.2.0
This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsdelf"...
.gdbinit:1: Error in sourced command file:
Function "main" not defined.
(gdb) p dumpfile
$1 = (FILE *) 0x0

--jkl