[freetds] tds_canonical_charset_name futures?

Craig A. Berry craigberry at mac.com
Thu May 29 15:14:50 EDT 2003

It looks like src/tds/iconv.c:tds_canonical_charset_name is now doing
a nice job of converting the myriad names for any given character set
into the GNU iconv name.  This seems like great progress.  If I
understand this right, we can have character set names in any
well-known variant spelling thrown at us from server metadata,
configuration files, hard-coded in programs, etc., and we have a
reliable many-to-one mapping so they all mean the same thing to
FreeTDS.

But isn't that only half the battle? Don't we also need a one-to-one
mapping of the GNU iconv name to whatever variant is acceptable to
the local iconv_open?  In other words, shouldn't something like what
tds_iconv_init does for ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 be done more generally
at configuration time, i.e., permute through all of the aliases until
we find the one that works?

But there may already be plans or uncommitted code I'm unaware of,
thus my query here.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry at mac.com

 difficult than getting in."