[freetds] freebcp bulk load wont work with -f option

Pothen, Abi APothen at nb.com
Wed May 28 10:51:41 EDT 2003

Hi All,
 I can get rid of the "Unrecognized datatype found" error message by using
"SYBCHAR" instead of "SQLCHAR" in my format file.

But I am facing a different problem.

Freebcp utility has problem dealing with idenity fields and fields with
defaults.

Please consider following example:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[test] (
	[FLD_IDENT] [numeric](18, 0) IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
	[FLD_VCHAR] [varchar] (15) NOT NULL ,
	[FLD_NUM] [numeric](22, 7) NULL
)

test.dat
--------
100	TESTSCORE1	99.90
120	TESTSCORE2	98.40
130	TESTSCORE3	97.20
140	TESTSCORE4	96.10

test.fmt
--------

7.0
3
1	SYBCHAR	0	10	"\t"	0	FLD_IDENT
2	SYBCHAR	0	10	"\t"	2	FLD_VCHAR
3	SYBCHAR	0	10	"\n"	3	FLD_NUM

test_1.fmt
----------

7.0
3
1	SYBCHAR	0	10	"\t"	1	FLD_IDENT
2	SYBCHAR	0	10	"\t"	2	FLD_VCHAR
3	SYBCHAR	0	10	"\n"	3	FLD_NUM

When I use test.fmt, bcp fails with "Segmentation Fault (core dumped)"
freebcp testdb.dbo.test  in test.dat -f  test.fmt -S SQLSERVER -U user -P
password

When I use test_1.fmt, bcp works
freebcp testdb.dbo.test  in test.dat -f  test_1.fmt -S SQLSERVER -U user -P
password

Native bcp supports both the above cases without any problem.

Can anyone please suggest any workarounds ?

Thanks.