[freetds] 0.61 tsql core dump, locale = "C C C C C C"

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Fri May 16 13:39:00 EDT 2003

I think I know what's wrong, Dan, but not why.  It's tow things:

1.  We're still misdetecting some header file's function prototype.
2.  Early on, a 1 (one) is written to the static variable
src/tds/util.c::dumpfile, tricking the logging functions into writing to
stdout.

What should happen if you start tsql without arguments:

$ tsql
locale is "C"
locale charset is "646"
Missing argument -S or -H

Perhaps a backtrace will help Frediano track down what's going on.  Could
you try this:

gdb tsql
(gdb) b main
(gdb) r [arguments]
(gdb) watch dumpfile != 0
Watchpoint 5: dumpfile != 0
(gdb) c
Continuing.
locale is "C"
locale charset is "646"
Watchpoint 5: dumpfile != 0

Old value = 0
New value = 1
0x4807efc1 in tdsdump_open (filename=0x804f240 "dump")
    at src/tds/util.c:195
195             } else if (NULL == (dumpfile = fopen(filename, "w"))) {
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4807efc1 in tdsdump_open (filename=0x804f240 "dump")
    at src/tds/util.c:195
#1  0x4807f7b1 in tds_connect (tds=0x8050000, connect_info=0x8050100)
    at src/tds/login.c:227
#2  0x804a31a in main (argc=7, argv=0xbfbfba20)
    at src/apps/tsql.c:483

My guess is you won't get anywhere near that far, that "dumpfile" is being
corrupted early and often.  The bt should expose the awry assignment.