[freetds] FreeTDS performance

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Fri May 16 13:07:05 EDT 2003

None.  What could it do?  The answer has to come from the server.  Windump
will confirm.

> You might want to try the command-line version (isql.exe) instead.

Apples and oranges.  QA is ODBC over TDS 7.0  isql is a db-lib app using TDS
4.2, meaning the varchar data are represented as ASCII.

A better test would compare bcp.exe to freebcp, using native data formats.
That would bypass the binary->character conversions and the terminal I/O.
The last time I did such a test -- a couple of months ago, discussed in the
archives -- freebcp held its own against bcp.exe.

Our numeric->char conversion was inordinately slow, but Frediano since fixed
that.  Money is now the bad guy, and I hope we'll solve that when we
eventually get Bill Thompson's 8-byte integer version working on both sides
of the Endian divide.

I'm at a loss to explain what Frediano's bumped into.  I hope it turns out
to be --extra-checks or DMALLOC or something of that ilk.