[freetds] desperate for help

H M Kunzmann herbert at dreamstroke.com
Thu May 15 14:02:02 EDT 2003

Hi

I've been trying all week (and last week...) to get freetds
connectivity to mssql from redhat linux 9.0, but have failed
miserably.

Freetds itself is easy to compile and get working, and I get
successful connects from # isql -S <hostname> -U <username>

Compiling php 4.2.2 to work with Apache2, MySQL 4.01 and freetds
has caused me endless hassles and I've given up. Either I get
sybase compile errors (--with-sybase=<dir_to_freetds>, or I get
mysql errors or apache errors. Although I hacked my way through
many of these, I still haven't come right.

I then found an article @ linux journal on how to do this with unixODBC.
I've followed the instructions, compiling freetds with
--with-tdsver=7.0 --with-unixodbc, tested it with tsql (success)

When I got to setting up the unixODBC stuff, I followed the instructions
and added the tds driver and then a DSN for mssql.

I get the following error when running
#  isql -v <dsn_name> <username> <password>

[unixODBC]Client unable to establish connection
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

I am using freetds 0.61, trying to connect to mssql 8.00 (is this 2000?)

PLEASE somebody help me out... I've already asked on the
shrike lists and php lists, nobody has helped except to say "I've
managed to do it..."

Thanks in advance,
Herbert M Kunzmann