[freetds] status and stability

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Wed May 14 14:43:25 EDT 2003

Nice work!

Seeing as you've hand-edited (to our advantage) the perl-generated section,
I think we should pull the perl code out and sort the list alphabetically,
to make things easier to find, unless there's some reason not to.  Thanks
for rationalizing the names, too.  Do you think we can ignore case
(strcasecmp(3))?  ISTM the list would be shorter, and I can't imagine two
different character sets whose names differed only by case.

One question, though, because you seem to have an idea different from mine.
When Sybase sends you its charset name "iso88597", and you're using HP
iconv, how are you going to locate the iconv name that HP uses?

My idea is to use src/tds/sybase_character_sets.h to get the canonical name,
and src/tds/alternative_character_sets.h to back into the iconv name.  But,
to do that, we somehow have to identify the name to use.  (We could try each
one in turn, I guess.)