[freetds] status and stability

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Wed May 14 11:27:28 EDT 2003

Well, as David found out, 0.61 will revert to non-iconv behavior if
iconv_open(3) fails.  Current CVS will deal stupidly with that.  This is a
case where assert(3) would have been clearer than returning an error...

> > > If a system does not have UCS-2LE we should set a flag like
> > > "convert UCS-2BE to UCS-2LE"... another suitable flag is pass
> > > from UCS2
> > > (if direct conversion is not supported convert first to ucs2
> > > and then to destination...)
> >
> > tds_iconv_open() should set such a flag in the TDSICONVINFO
> structure, and
> > tds_iconv should honor it.  That way, no other code has to
> bother with it.
> >

> MMmmm... a new idea.
> Currently we convert first names to canonical, than we try to use this
> name with iconv. So we fill alternative with all possible names!

My thought exactly.  You just have to be sure to guard OS-specific named
with #if, to avoid conflicts.  Remember, we need that table for
Server->canonical->iconv lookups.