[freetds] status and stability

Varley, David (CBorn at Alcoa) David.Varley at alcoa.com.au
Tue May 13 21:08:52 EDT 2003

Hi Jim,

I've refrained from building on Tru64 for the duration of your iconv hacks,
but as you now claim some stability I thought I'd give it another try! As it
stands, the package builds without problems, but bombs out on the first
test, with freetds.log containing:

Starting log file for FreeTDS 0.62.dev.
	on 2003-05-14 08:28:29 with debug level 99.
iconv to convert client-side data to the "ISO-8859-1" character set
08:28:29.631897 tds_iconv_info_init: cannot convert "CP819"->"UCS-2LE"
08:28:29.631897 Connecting to 192.168.221.5 port 1433, TDS 7.0.
08:28:29.632873 tds_put_string converting 6 bytes of "myhost"
08:28:29.632873 tds_put_string converting 6 bytes of "myhost"
[...]

which continues until I get a "device full" message.

This can be traced to tds_put_string() in tds/write.c which loops forever
waiting for tds_iconv() to decrement 'len' below zero, which never happens.
Now while the problem is doubtless in iconv due to different character set
naming on Tru64, having the code loop forever because tds_iconv() doesn't
convert anything is not good.

Cheers,

David Varley
C-Born Software Systems Pty Ltd