[freetds] Possible bug with extended ASCII

Craig Davison cd at securityfocus.com
Thu May 8 19:17:23 EDT 2003

Hello list,

After I upgraded to freetds 0.61 from 0.60, I noticed that queries that
contained extended ASCII characters would fail.
Here's an example query that should return an empty rowset if it succeeds:

select uid from master..sysusers where name = 'Ã'

The character between the '' is Ð, th ecapital A tilde character. You can
type it with Alt-195 on a PC.

With freetds 0.60, the query returns an empty rowset, but with freetds
0.61, I get this error (using sqsh):

[12] megatron.master.1> select uid from master..sysusers where name = 'Ã'
[12] megatron.master.2> go
Msg 105, Level 15, State 1
Server 'MEGATRON', Line 1
Unclosed quotation mark before the character string '.???'.
Msg 170, Level 15, State 1
Server 'MEGATRON', Line 1
Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '.???'.

Was this never a valid character to have in a query, or was there a bug
introduced sometime between freetds 0.60 and 0.61?
My server is Microsoft SQL Server 2k, and I'm using the TDS 7 protocol.
The query works in MS Query Analyzer.

Thanks

--
Craig Davison