WORDS_BIGENDIAN (was RE: [freetds] Running FreeTDS under VMS)

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Mon May 5 08:07:40 EDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 13:49:07 +0200, "Bernard Giroud"
<bernard.giroud at creditlyonnais.ch> wrote:
> But one of this change is the hardcoding of UCS-2LE in tds_iconv_open.
> VMS only knows UCS-2. So iconv_open doesn't work, and because
> initialization is not aborted, it keeps sending something the server
> doesn't understand.

I would never have predicted that one of the first "victims" of iconv
would be a fellow in Switzerland using VMS.  :-)

The way I suggest we fix this:

1.  Patch sybase_character_sets.h such that tds_canonical_charset_name
returns "UCS-2" when passed "UCS-2LE", when compiled for VMS.

2.  Replace hard-coded entry with 'tds_canonical_charset_name("UCS-2LE")'.

I think that will do the trick.  Naturally I'm open to suggestions.

--jkl

P.S.  If VMS doesn't have strncpy(), please consider adding one to
src/replacements.