[freetds] detecting iconv names

Chris Eleveld ihermit2 at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 11:48:45 EDT 2003

To interject my own 2 cents.  In my scripting I have found sum -r to produce more portable results and almost always be ther ecompared to cksum.

"Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK at bernstein.com> wrote:> From: ZIGLIO Frediano [mailto:Frediano.Ziglio at vodafoneomnitel.it]
> Sent: May 2, 2003 9:04 AM
>
> > I'm doing some tests to test iconv.

We're thinking along the same lines. :-)

> > My intention is to convert some code and see results. Problem
> > is portability
> > Now, problem is perl. Does all system support perl?

We can't depend on Perl. I like Perl very much, but we shouldn't make Perl
a requirement, even for testing FreeTDS.

> Is cksum portable ?

Pretty much:

The cksum utility is expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992
("POSIX.2").

out such orders and/or instructions.