[freetds] Running FreeTDS under VMS

Bernard Giroud bernard.giroud at creditlyonnais.ch
Thu May 1 11:54:46 EDT 2003

This e-mail contains confidential information or information belonging
to the Credit Lyonnais Group entity sending it and is intended solely
for the addressees. Any views expressed in this message are those of
the individual sender and its contents do not constitute a commitment
by Credit Lyonnais unless confirmed by letter or fax. The unauthorised
disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either whole or partial) of
this e-mail, or any information it contains, is prohibited. E-mails are
susceptible to alteration and their integrity cannot be guaranteed.
Internet communications are not secured and therefore Credit Lyonnais
shall not be liable for this e-mail if modified or falsified. If you
are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please delete it
immediately from your system and notify the sender of the wrong
delivery and the mail deletion.
Iconv problem:

  I'm using native VMS iconv. I first tried to copy necessary
  files with the names FreeTDS expects, without success.
  I then tried to put the VMS names in
  alternative_character_sets.h, but tds_canonical_charset_name
  doesn't seem to be used.
  Finally I added them in character_sets.h.

BTW, in making trials, I went thru the no HAVE_ICONV code
of tds_iconv, and I had to make the correction:

#else
        /* FIXME best code, please, this do not convert unicode <->
singlebyte */
        if (output_size > *input_size)
                output_size = *input_size;
        memcpy(output, input, output_size);
        /* *input_size += output_size; BG: should decrement */
        *input_size -= output_size;
        return output_size;
#endif
}

Endian:

  what is the purpose of emul_little_endian ?
  That should be only applicable to the client side, shouldn't?
  Anyway, I had to leave it to 0 with this kind of code:

#ifdef WORDS_BIGENDIAN
        if (IS_TDS7_PLUS(tds)) {
#ifndef VMS
                /* TDS 7/8 only supports little endian */
                tds->emul_little_endian = 1;
#endif
        }
#endif
  But I can't see why it should be limited to VMS...