[freetds] IDENTITY column problem with bcp

Anwar, Mohammed mohammed.anwar at intel.com
Tue Apr 22 13:44:26 EDT 2003

Hi,
	I am trying to bulk insert values into a table with an Identity column.

	If I do not include the column in my data I receive an error indicating that I am trying to insert a NULL value into a column that does not accept null.

	If I insert a value then that value is actually inserted into the column (rather than created).
	I read in some post on the web to use 0 and that the server will automatically insert the identity value.
	This does not work either.

	I have tried bcp both from a file and using the bind variables.

	I am using SQL Server 2000, the scripts are running on linux.
	The freetds.conf file indicates tds version = 7.0

	The table creation SQL is as follows:
	CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TableName] (
		[id] [bigint] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
		[signature] [bigint] NOT NULL ,
		[name] [varchar] (128) COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN NULL
	) ON [PRIMARY]

	I would like to insert the data from variables or a file without specifying the value for the id column.
	Is there any way to specify to bcp that the id column is an identity.

	The id field is also the primary key which I create after the data has been inserted. So I need for it to be NOT NULL.

	I would really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks
Anwar