[freetds] Argue with the compiler?

Hirsch, Jonathan jonathan.hirsch at gs.com
Wed Apr 9 10:06:37 EDT 2003

Hello,

Looks like when I run ./configure it stops abruptly when it tries to create
and then later open conftest.c. Any help or guidance on how to explain to
configure that I really do have gcc available and it should have no trouble
creating conftest.c would be appreciated.  Here are the details

Sun Ultra 60
Solaris 2.6
Perl 5.004

(5648) # ./configure CC=/opt/bin/gcc
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /opt/gnu/bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... cat: cannot open conftest.c
check `config.log' for details.

......From the config.log file.........
## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_STRING ""
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""

configure: exit 0
configure:1296: checking for a BSD-compatible install
configure:1350: result: /opt/gnu/bin/install -c
configure:1361: checking whether build environment is sane

(5654) # /opt/gnu/bin/install -c
/opt/gnu/bin/install: too few arguments
Try `/opt/gnu/bin/install --help' for more information

(5655) # /usr/ucb/install -c
usage: install [-cs] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file ...  destination
       install  -d   [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] dir

Thanks,

Jon