Output parameters (was: Strange things)

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Sat Nov 16 16:02:31 EST 2002

On 16 Nov 2002 20:20:17 +0100, Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 at tin.it> wrote:

> > I compiled src/dblib/unittests/t0022.c under VC++, linked it with
> > Microsoft's db-lib, and captured the conversation with tcpdump.  No
> > matter what I did with the client configuration, though, I wound up
> > with an SMB session (not TCP), and the conversation appears to be in
> > ASCII, making it look a heck of a lot like TDS 4.2 (but it's also
> > possible that TDS 7.0 over an SMB connection uses ASCII; I didn't
> > check the login packet).  I was using SQL Server 7.0 client libraries
> > and a SQL Server 2000 server.
>
> Oh... try to make a DSN in ODBC Manager and set client option to use TCP
> as default. All next connection will use TCP instead of name pipe.

I feel about ODBC a little like I do about vegetarianism: it's fine for
people who don't mind the taste.

I don't want to learn how to use stored procedure output parameters enough
to write an ODBC test harness for it.  I'm willing to run someone else's
test, though; I can point-and-click my way to a DSN.

Also, remember my client libraries are 7.0, not 2000.  That might matter.