newbie help needed.

Arin Komins akomins at midway.uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 24 10:33:07 EST 2000

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Brian Bruns wrote:

:Subject: [freetds] Re: newbie help needed.
:
:Hi,
:
:First thing, unless you need longvarchar column types, I'd recommend using
:4.2 instead of 7.0 as it is likely to be more stable (unless you intend
:hacking on it, and then by all means go for it). It is also less bandwidth
:intensive (due to 7.0 transmitting strings as unicode)
:
:I wouldn't think that using the fqdn would matter but as a matter of
:course the name in the interfaces is a simple hostname or alias rather
:than its DNS name.  The important thing is that 'myiphere' is a valid
:hostname in /etc/hosts or in the DNS search path.
:
:One other definite problem is that TDSVER accepts '42', '50', and '70', so
:specifying '7.0' it will go to the configured default (5.0 unless you
:changed it) which would cause MS SQL to close the connection after the
:login packet is received and most likely give you the 'unknown marker'
:error.  The code should probably allow for 4.2, 5.0 and 7.0 as well.
:

Brian,

Thanks!  changing TDSVER to 42, and changing my interfaces file to
a nonFQDN worked.

Many thanks!

Arin
Arin Komins			       akomins at midway.uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT			tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #305A Chicago, IL 60637	fax: (773)702-0559