Solaris access to a MS SQL Database

Dan Gregoria Daniel.Gregoria at GD-ES.com
Wed Nov 10 13:01:44 EST 1999

Compiling and running my Java program (uses JDBC)on NT gave a useful result
in that I was able to access a MS SQL Server database located on a separate
NT server.

Moving the source to a new install of JDK 1.1.8 on Solaris 2.5.1, then
comiling and running it gave the following error messsages.  My code put
out diagnostics with "***" prefix:

=====================================
***My URL: = jdbc:odbc:server=MTVPSETEST;DSN=PTTFiles;DATABASE=Y2KPTT
***About to call: DriverManager.getConnection

ld.so.1: /usr/bin/../java/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/java: fatal:
    libodbcinst.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
(/usr/bin/../java/bin/../lib/sparc/native_threads/libJdbcOdbc.so)
ld.so.1: /usr/bin/../java/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/java: fatal:
    libodbcinst.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
(/usr/java/lib/libJdbcOdbc.so)
ld.so.1: /usr/bin/../java/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/java: fatal:
    libodbcinst.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
(/usr/bin/../java/bin/../lib/libJdbcOdbc.so)

***problems connecting to
jdbc:odbc:server=MTVPSETEST;DSN=PTTFiles;DATABASE=Y2KPTT
I think I need a driver --- but I'm too ignorant to go beyond that
thought.
My guess is that ld.so is a dynamic loader and that it is looking for a
dynamic linked library: libJdbcOdbc.so  Do you have any other ideas.  If
this is correct WHERE can I obtain such a DLL

Thanks a bunch --
Daniel.Gregoria at GD-ES.com