[DesertCity] Johnson & Herron This Saturday, March 26th, 8pm @ Internationalist Books

Ken Rumble rumblek at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 22 11:01:45 EST 2005

Please spread far and wide.....

Who:  Kent Johnson; translator of _Doubled
Flowering: From the Notebooks of Araki
Yasusada_, _The Miseries of Poetry:
Traductions from the Greek_, and Immanent
Visitor: Selected Poems of Jaime Saenz_;
winner of an NEA Fellowship; inventor of the
mustache.

Who:  Patrick Herron; Carrboro Poet Laureate;
author of _The Amerian Godwar Complex_;
wicked good at the Full-gainer.

What:  Desert City Poetry Series: March
squared, double your pleasure.

When:  This Saturday, March 26th, at 8pm, 2005.

Where:  Internationalist Books, 405 W.
Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC, third
planet from the Sun.

Why:  "Not to mention that the one whose name
is Love is in the form of a faucet."  "I am
sprung / atom / by / atom. / I am /
decomposed, / I am / stirred / into / root /
and / softly / charged / clouds."

See you there.....

Next Reading:

April 23rd:  Lisa Jarnot & Andrea Selch

*Internationalist Books:
http://www.internationalistbooks.org

*Desert City Poetry Series:
http://desertcity.blogspot.com

*Kent Johnson:
http://jacketmagazine.com/bio/kent.html

*Patrick Herron:
http://www.proximate.org/bio.htm

Contact the DCPS:  Ken Rumble, director:
rumblek at bellsouth dot net

"Poem Upon a Typo Found in an Interview of
Kenneth Koch, Conducted by David Shapiro [1]"
by Kent Johnson

1.   First of ill, I fell in love.

2.   I could, of course, go on and on.

3.   The gapeseed trees leaned down; the
humors of a flying thing broke swith in a
deafening whoosh.

4.   Well, certes, this just shows our tholen
souls have been braided everywhen as one.

5.   And therefrom, the sun shone down thro
the missled hole upon the praying ones and.

6.   It was full of smoke in that dome, fore
the days of no smoking.

7.   I remember those good old days, whilom
it was me, and Will and Ben and Chris and the
wholesome lads of the laste avant-garde.

8.   And always, eke, that tother, the girl
whose number was a misterium to me.

9.   She blew out some rings and did say: It
seems I am losing my trellis of thought,
rushing with you through this tunnel of
trees, whitherward our fate we canst know,
nor whencesoever we have come, nor usward
what speeds.

10.   For there are coins where once there
were our eyne.

11.   I liked the little hussy that way,
naked but for a brassiere, how she could say
the darndest things and with such casual
mien, as if a kind of chord falling from her
spine were plugged into some vast background
dump of language.

12.   (Exaltingly, eftsoons, I sawed her in
the sweven of the flowering trees. She was a
plane girl, really, ilke, fain and yare, with
wings all swoopstake on her thorax plus eyne
of tinsel shillings. Stilled, I lived her
with all my might, chasing a horse amain into
the sun. You’d never know it now from my
face. It was more archaic than it now seems,
was more like the sun. Stained and
morning-breathèd, we woke in Atocha, to
puissant concussions alow the ground.)

13   (a). My nickname at Christ’s College was
“Beuys”; I spent five years in its crucifixed
sanatorium, whence, a foil upon my temples,
great voltage did floode my soiled bodie.

13   (b). But, anyway, to continue and for
exemplars: Please observe how in this amber
light the prints of the figs are perfectly
preserved and.

14.   Not to mention that the one whose name
is Love is in the form of a faucet.

15.   And should it seem at the end of every
verse that I am washing my hands of the
people and cranes whom I have hammered into
this foil for fun, well, then that is the way
of the silly sun.

16.   Lit from within, as if the fractures in
the loveliness were intentionally stressed to
the point where it all might just come apart,
but not yet quite.

17.   Peradventure, as if to illustrate, the
giant exchange student from the colonies,
entered the foiled room.

18   (a). Roman and ebonied, eyes whited by
the burn, he cried forth and broke the spell:

18   (b). How come is a bus in a desert on
fire, he did say, gardyloo. [2]

19.   Prithee, thee, quickly, now, break thro
this water! (unidentified female voice in the
room)

20.   For don’t you know, dude (the giant
continued), that’s what your hair will be:
Flames shooting upward until you wouldn’t see
because it were so high up there.

21.   I know it sound incredible, somedeal, OK?

22.   And I know you be sad and happy at a
great flip-flop velocity.

23.   But I shit you not: Stop clapping, hug
your kin, and look immediately at the sky.

"Tough Going?"
by Patrick Herron

Tough going?
When your week is over, you’ll be closer to
your goal.
Everything is a part of learning to live in a
different way.
While it is critical to note some mistakes,
it is also essential not to dwell on them.
Just move on.
Toward the end of this week, take a look at
yourself in the mirror.
Compare yourself to your “before” photo.
Do you see yourself now?
Chances are, you’ve already lost some memories.
Your beliefs have begun to sharpen.
If you’re analyzing yourself or trying to
recall last week, you may notice that your
numbers are improving.
Yes, it’s happening.
You can believe more and remember less.
Now keep it going.