[DesertCity] Brian Henry & Tara Rebele, This Saturday, March 19th, at 8pm

Ken Rumble rumblek at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 15 16:34:48 EST 2005

Please spread far and wide.....

Who:  Brian Henry; author of _Astronaut_,
_American Incident_, and _Graft_; editor of
Verse Magazine; Robert Redford's stunt double.

Who:  Tara Rebele; performance artist, poet,
black belt; author of the forthcoming _And
I'm Not Jenny_; can change truck tires with
her bare hands while blindfolded.

What:  Desert City Poetry Series, bigger than
last year.

When:  This Saturday, March 19th, at 8pm, 2005.

Where:  Internationalist Books, 405 W.
Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC, directly
above the center of the earth.

Why:  "Bless the conceptual artist for his
brazen images / Know there is no knowing
here" "It isn't unpleasant as one / might
expect / sitting up late / on the sofa / with
the ghosts / preferable even / to years spent
/ refusing / to be / haunted."

See you there.....

Next Reading:

March 26th:  Kent Johnson & Patrick Herron

*Internationalist Books:
http://www.internationalistbooks.org

*Desert City Poetry Series:
http://desertcity.blogspot.com

*Brian Henry:
http://www.octopusmagazine.com/issue04/html/main.html

*Tara Rebele:
http://www.tararebele.com/work.html

Contact the DCPS:  Ken Rumble, director:
rumblek at bellsouth dot net

"Tink"
by Brian Henry

Nothing rhymes with ‘pizza’ here.

The girl is walking up my leg and back

to jump over (not on) my head.

She rhymes what she is with ‘floral.’

The blood on the carpet from my

bloody bloody nose will come out

if I attend to it vite vite!

A yucky cricket, a lot of ladybugs.

He was not a bad hat, just bored.

Did not burn the beasts in his menagerie.

It does not occur to the girl to skin me.

To wonder if I’m rabid, behaving

erratically. At least the wallpaper

is not florid. Stripes asserting order

and direction. I color the mermaid’s bikini

top silver, her crotch and the tail beneath it

silver. Of course I linger. There,

and where the fairy’s cleavage.

The other princesses are all human.

They do not interest me.

At least when I get out of here

I will have a family to go home to.

While it might be more than I deserve,

it is more than you can say.

from "In Penumbral Flats"
by Tara Rebele

Characters:

Lucia: live performer

Mother: video projection

Mental Health Professional (MHP): cardboard
cutout with audio feed

Note: Lucia begins in the light in order to
look back at her shadows. The initial Summer
section of the piece chronologically follows
the final Spring section. This should be
indicated in production.

The movement sequence between seasons is
indicated in {} and should occur in a
circular, perhaps spiral, pattern. The
movement sequence at the end of the initial
Summer section should break from the pattern.
Percussion rhythms may accompany the movement
sequences, paced according to the speed of
the movement; if percussion is not used, some
noise would be appropriate.

**

Summer

Lucia:

It isn’t unpleasant as one

might expect

sitting up late

on the sofa

with the ghosts

preferable even

to years spent

refusing

to be

haunted.

One could blame

the wind

were there any

to be had.

Mother:

Lucia. Turn off the lights. It’s late.

Lucia:

Late but not

MHP:

Medication compliance.

Lucia:

every second

again

every

the heaviest of

Mother:

Lucia. The lights. We’ll have a fire. I’ve
read about those lamps ...

MHP:

Breakthrough episodes.

Lucia:

Every second.

So when you stand

in the light

your shadow

lurks.

Lest you forget

yesterday

you were

Yet when darkness

there’s no shadow

of the shadow

no trace

to long

and long

it lasts

if one

lasts

long

enough

point A erased

again

This is the better

MHP:

Maintenance is crucial. Regular patterns.
Monitor moods.
Continue treatment. As directed.

Mother:

You haven’t taken your pills. Here.