[DesertCity] [Fwd: durham3, March 18th]

Ken Rumble rumblek at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 10 11:32:09 EST 2005

------ Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:20:32 -0500
From: Tanya Olson <olson at vgcc.edu>

Next Friday's durham3 is the last one until
July (in April we are organizing poets for
Culture Crawl but there will be no central
event), so get yourself down to the Ooh La
Latte and see a fiber arts show, film, poets,
dance, a collaborative piece about Durham, an
open mike, some snacks from Trin B'ago, and a
kickin' set by Destroyed By Kittens, all for
a 3$-5$ cover charge.  Info is below, contact
me with questions.  And if you have something
fabulous you want to add to the fiber arts
show, let me know.

    tanya

durham3 celebrates March and Women's History
month with a multi-media celebration on
Friday, March 18th at the Ooh La Latte, 1116
Broad Street in Durham.  This month's focus
will be an opening for a fiber arts show
featuring the work of Amy Nolan, Sherri Wood,
and others.  We'll also have the poetry of
Randall Williams and Ken Rumble, a dance
group from Ninth Street Dance, a film by Jim
Haverkamp and Joyce Ventimiglia, and a
collaborative work exploring the essence of
Durham by Tanya Olson, April Walton, and Joe
Rizzolo.  After open mike, we'll have a
reception for the fiber artists and everyone
is invited to stick around for a hip-moving,
soul-expanding set from Durham favorites,
Destroyed By Kittens.  Doors will open at
7:30, show begins at 8:00. There's a 3$-5$
sliding cover and open mike will be first
come, first served.  For directions, see the
Ooh La Latte's website (www.oohlalatte.com)
or give them a call at 286-0650.  For other
information, contact Tanya Olson at
olson at vgcc.edu Amy Nolan at
amycnolan at hotmail.com or visit the durham3
website at http://durham3.blogspot.com
durham3 is sponsored in part by Carolina Wren
Press. (http://carolinawrenpress.org/index.php3)

Randall Williams- Randall Williams is a poet,
social activist and filmmaker living near
Hillsborough, North Carolina. His writing has
appeared in Word For/Word, McSweeneys, Salon
and the Independent Weekly. He is currently
working on the
campaign to end the U.S. occupation of Iraq
and local efforts to fend off Senate Bill 8
and House Bill 55, two discriminatory pieces
of legislation which would constitutionally
ban many legal protections for same-sex couples.

Ken Rumble- Ken Rumble is the director of the
Desert City Poetry Series and list
administrator of the
Lucifer Poetics Group.  His poems have been
published in Parakeet, Word For/Word, Effing
Magazine, Sidereality,
NoTell Motel, Sugar Mule, VeRT, and others.
He collects books of poetry by Leonard Nimoy.

Sherri Wood- Sherri Wood, b. 1964, Hammond,
IN, has lived in the south her entire life.
She has a B.A. in English from Bethany
College, WV, a Masters of Theological Studies
from Emory University and an MFA in Sculpture
from Bard College. Residencies include the
Headlands Center for the Arts, and Penland
School of Craft. Her work has been exhibited
at the San Francisco Museum of Folk Art &
Craft, the Southeastern Center for
Contemporary Art and the North Carolina
Museum of Art. She began making
improvisational quilts in1993. Today she
resides in Durham, North Carolina where, as
part of her studio practice, she works with
people who are grieving to make functional
improvisational quilts from the clothing of
the deceased. Some of her projects including
the Tattoo Baby Doll Project can be viewed at
www.daintytime.com.

Linda Thurber/Amy Nolan- Teaching herself to
crochet at the age of nine, Linda Thurber is
a self-made
crafty woman. A mother of 2 and grandmother
of 3, Linda is a vital part of her family.
She has passed the tradition of crocheting to
her youngest daughter, Amy Nolan, who is also
apart of this show. Linda is an avid
quilter, knitter, and enjoys sewing.  Amy
enjoys making large structures out of yarn
that take up a lot of space.

Jim Haverkamp- Jim Haverkamp is an
award-winning filmmaker and editor who lives
in Durham, North Carolina. He is co-producer
and co-editor of the film Monster Road, a
feature length documentary that has won
numerous awards, including Best Documentary
at the Slamdance Film festival. His short
films have shown in festivals across the
country, and he was awarded a Filmmaking
Fellowship from the North Carolina Arts
Council in 2000. He is a former organizer of
the Flicker Film Festival in Chapel Hill, and
also plays harmonium and guitar in the Durham
band the Holy Roman Empire.

Joyce Ventimiglia- Joyce Ventimiglia is an
award-winning filmmaker whose work has shown
at numerous national and international film
festivals. She has taught video production at
Raleigh Community Access TV, currently works
as a producer/director of educational videos
for the North Carolina School of Science &
Math, and plays guitar in the Durham rock
band, the Holy Roman Empire.

Tanya Olson/April Walton/Joe Rizzolo- Tanya
Olson is a poet who helps co-ordinate durham3
and teaches at Vance- Granville Community
College and the North Carolina Governor's
School.  As Learning Outreach Coordinator at
the Center for Documentary Studies, April
Walton is exposed to lots of interesting
projects from around the world. She is
currently working on an art installation
video project about memory.  Joe Rizzolo is a
musician, writer, actor, and metal sculptor.
  He lives in a farmhouse in Bahama, North
Carolina.  All of them love Durham and
believe that Durham should, indeed, love
itself.

Sue Williamson-  I started knitting when I
was around 11 years old.  As far as I
remember, my mother taught me the basics then
I joined a knitting group at a local yarn
shop.  I'm really into using different and
interesting yarn combinations.  I like to
knit fun, non-challenging, and eclectic
pieces.

9th Street Dance- Ninth Street Dance believes
everyone can enjoy and benefit from learning
to dance. Not a studio for professional
dancers, they invite anyone who would like to
explore new ways of moving and inhabiting
their bodies to join us. They provide a
nurturing, non-threatening environment in
which dancers and non-dancers of any age,
shape or gender can learn to feel more at
home in their bodies and experience the joys
of movement.  See
http://www.ninthstreetdance.com

Destroyed By Kittens- Destroyed By Kittens
are a Durham-based rock 3-piece. They are
heavy on the harmonies, known to smash
piñatas, and provide subtitles for their
songs.  See what they are all about at
www.littlemissmessy.net/dbk/

  durham3 is a series of multi-media events
that bring together a variety of artists.
The series is interested in using the
physical and psychological thirdspace
qualities of Durham to foster collaboration
between artistic communities in Durham and
the Triangle.  Ultimately, this series would
also like to aid Durham in defining its own
artistic identity.  Towards that end, each
event will feature poets, performers, spoken
words artists, visual artists, musicians, and
dancers from across the Triangle.  Each event
will also highlight an original,
collaborative work from 2 or more artists in
the Triangle and merchandise from the series,
the work of local artists, and a broadsheet
featuring the work of that night's artists
will be available at each event.