[Commons-research] Culture and Science

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue May 13 20:14:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Victoria Stodden <vcs at stanford.edu> wrote:
>  I proposed a hybrid of these two types of licenses for the computational
> research product – so all components are covered, and the scientist is
> encouraged to release every component of their research.

I'd suggest instead of a hybrid license that attempts to cover
everything using appropriate license(s) for each component: a OSD/FSD
compliant software license (which includes GPL) for source code, a CC
license (preferably CC BY) for papers and other non-software
copyrightable stuff, a PD dedication/waiver for data.  This way each
component gets to play in the relevant commons.  A new license that
covers everything would have to be incredibly careful to not be
incompatible with the much larger pools of free/open/libre
software/works/data.

Re data, please see
http://sciencecommons.org/weblog/archives/2008/05/12/how-to-free-your-facts/
and http://sciencecommons.org/projects/publishing/open-access-data-protocol/
or at least engage Science Commons in a discussion -- they've thought
tons about this stuff. :)

Mike