[Chtechcomm] Possible email scam via TOCWireless

Steve Irving wsirving at morgancreek.net
Thu Oct 20 13:08:05 EDT 2005

Andy,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm accustomed to lists which allow posting only after some sort of
registration (and presumed verification/confirmation) of the sender's email
address, and assumed this was the case. My bad assumption, but I noticed no
information to the contrary when signing up for the listserv.

Seems to me you've got a tough choice: either institute better registration
and security mechanisms (added cost and effort), or add a notice during the
sign up process indicating "anything goes" (scaring off potential
subscribers). I don't think relying on end user's "common sense" will get it
done, especially as electronic communication becomes more important in
conducting business with an involved citizenry.

You may also want to consider removing the messages I mentioned earlier from
your archives, considering any possible liability the Town may incur if, for
instance, some innocent (read: low common sense quotient) citizen regards
the "House of God" message as a Town-endorsed investment opportunity. Just a
thought.

I've added the original recipients back to this reply so that they will all
know how responsive and helpful you've been.

Thanks again,

Steve

  _____